Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Face The Carbon Tax, Fight The Credit Crunch in the Kitchen

There's nothing quite like the feeling of acquiring a new piece for my kitchen, rescuing another much loved kitchen favourite and putting it to use in the pursuit of all manner of edible delights.

The other day (as the implications of an impending Carbon Tax were being bandied about) and in the same news flash proof that we are 'hooked on credit' - to the tune of some $50 billion dollars - it struck me that so much of what we as a nation buy is beyond our budget and once the initial thrill of the purchase has dimmed, we're that little more in debt for what? And at the same time as we're filling our nests with shiny trinkets we're adding to our emissions woes.

For me that urge to collect, to purchase, to rescue and to revive beautiful things is still too strong to ignore altogether, so for many years now I have indulged only in buying second hand treasures for the kitchen. The more likely to be trapped in the bottom of a box for a decade or two at the Op Shop an item - the more satisfying the rescue. All with that extra thought of a local charity reaping the benefits from my spree - and not a credit card purchase in sight, and a carbon footprint a fraction that of buying new.

So to inspire others to seek out the pre loved, the sturdy work horses from the kitchens of yesteryear. . .here's some of my recent rescues (and a few old favourites).




Left: Last Sunday Suzy the wall scales came home with me, hidden in the bottom of a box bought at an auction in Ballarat.

Suzy is a Domestic Scale - made in Waihi, New Zealand. Suzy's measuring bowl flips up for easy storage and now I'll be able to bake all of my Grandma's old recipes without having to convert back from pounds and ounces. Nice work Suzy.

The scales came in an assorted box, I was bidding for the set of canary yellow canisters (intended wedding present for my younger sister) and Suzy and box full of other unknown items were just extra's in the mix.



Below: Nuptial canary yellow canisters. Price - way cheaper than a new set of canisters with no where near the appeal of these vintage beauties.

Hanging on wall to the right of an inherited handmade wire rack - Le Crueset red enameled cast iron fry pan - Made In France. Discovered in the bottom of a huge box full of sticky, off colour Tupaware on a crowded bottom shelf at the very back of an Op Shop in Wendouree, Ballarat. Price - $2. Beat that ebay!








Above: Along with Suzy the cheery yellow wall scales, a trio of well worn rolling pins, practically oozing baking skills I am yet to acquire.

That night I bake a pie, putting one of the new / old pins into action - perhaps for the first time in years - convinced I can feel it's parched wood respond to the moisture of the pastry. But the pastry on the pie was average - so I'll hold off on the theory I should be able to channel pasty nouse with the right looking vintage pin.

Also above: Sunbeam Mix Master - haggled over several years ago at Coburg Trash & Treasure Market. Price: $65. . .one of my most loved kitchen appliances.

Old Willow tins in background - inherited from my Grandmother Anita Wachtel - another set of 4 matching ones on Ebay - less than $30 and coming via post from Bendigo.

1 comment:

  1. Delightful blog - had no idea you were inspiring folk with your local foods recipes and op shop/family treasures. All that collecting and hoarding now being used with your creative cooking must be so satisfying and rewarding.

    ReplyDelete